Saturday, April 7, 2018

Birthday Post #7 ~ Have Favorites

Hiya dudes! TGIF! 


Back today with another life lesson for you. This one is to have favorites.


This is a lesson I've actually learned in the last couple years. I've never been able to have favorites. I never knew how people could pick a favorite anything. I mean, how do you pick a favorite food? That's crazy!


I would always answer questions like that with "depends on my mood" or something like that, and to an extent, that's still true. I rarely have one specific favorite, but I do now generally have a top 3 list.


It took me a long time to realize that having favorites is part of knowing yourself. You have to have enough self awareness and know yourself well to be able to have favorites. We have relationships with everyone, including ourselves, and the better we come to know our selves, the better we'll know what we like and what we don't.


I never made it a priority growing up to figure myself out. I was too worried about taking care of everyone else. I've spent the majority of my 20s basically becoming acquainted with myself, and strengthening my relationship with myself. It sounds weird, but it's true.


I think everyone should go through this at some point. It requires you to reflect on yourself and explore your own personality and self, but it's important.


It sounds simple, but it's a good lesson. Have a favorite color. A favorite food. A favorite movie, or song. A favorite place. A favorite person, shirt, blanket, piece of jewelry. These are the things that ultimately end up becoming a part of you, and give you roots. We all need roots.


So, lesson #7: Have Favorites.



No comments:

Post a Comment